The morning of the 22nd we woke up at 2:30am, got ready and called in at 3:00am to see if they had room available for us. They did so across the desert we went. We got to the hospital around 4:40. Lets just say it was a long, short morning. We were playing the waiting game. It took a while for things to get started because they were just changing shifts. Also my veins are uncooperative. It took the nurse 4 times to get the iv in. Then I had blood work taken 3 times. Basically I was a pin cushion. Funny thing the nurse and I joked that things would go smoother from then on.
The resident came in just before 7 to get me started. I was already dilated to a 4, and 80% effaced. So he broke my water and they started me on "The Pit" which is the pits!! I was excited how far I had progressed on my own. Last time with Macsen I was a big fat zero. I didn't want another 22 hour labor. Half an hour later I was starting to have pretty strong contractions. I asked the nurse if I could get an epidural soon, she looked at me like I was crazy, and told me that they had to give me one more bag of fluids and that she would contact the anesthesiologist. I felt like a big fat woose! I really thought I was tough but her facial expression made me feel like complete weak sauce! So I just waited. A half hour later I was really hurting. Why does it always seem when you don't need anything everyone bugs you but when you do no one is ever around. I called the nurse and asked her about the epidural again. She said that she has paged the anesthesiologist, turned off my pit cuz she could tell I was hurting and reminded me to breath. Man labor pains suck! Being in an uncomfortable bed, trying to be in a position that baby likes, and trying to breath through the pain when you just want to cut out your insides. All you can do is grab the bed rail for dear life and breath! Anyways, so finally the resident comes in around 8:15 to check me again. I was dilated to a 9! Say WHAT!! No wonder I was hurting so bad. So the nurse went to call Dr. Cox while the resident started setting up the room. Ya baby was coming and I still didn't get an epidural!! The nurse couldn't get a hold of Cox so they called the on call doc. Before I knew it Cox runs in the room. He was totally surprised how fast I progressed. We all were! The resident made the comment that I was made to have babies. Ha Ha not so funny when you insides feel like they are exploding! So we were ready. Honestly I felt like it would be impossible getting him here. With an epidural you are numb and can't feel a lot. Naturally you can feel how big the baby is. Really you expect him to fit through there!!! I was thinking there is no way I am going to be able to get him out! I can't push any harder! Luckily he was a smaller baby, and believe me next time I will be having an epidural!! A plus with natural birth for me was after he was here I felt pretty dang good and wasn't numb. Honestly I have had a few people ask me if I was in a lot of pain. I wasn't. I got some drugs right after he was here to help with swelling, and an ice pack. Honestly my contractions hurt the most out of the whole experience!
Cute huh!!
What a proud Papa!!
Proud Mama! I didn't know how I would react when he came. I thought I might bawl, but when I heard him start crying all I could do was smile! Dr. Cox is right, that is one of the best parts!!
8:38am Graham was here! 1 hour and 40 minutes after they broke my water! Wow what a morning! Was I excited about not getting an epidural? Of course not! I am just so glad that I wasn't in labor longer and he is here. He is a beautiful, healthy little man. He was 6lb, 5oz and 20in long. Dr. Cox advised me to always get induced since we live so far away from the hospital. Who knows if our next will come so fast, but I don't want to be half way to the hospital and have our shorty in the car! I am sure most would agree with me.
Going home outfit! Our little man is smaller then we thought he might be. Why is it that all the sizes of clothes are different. So many newborn clothes are huge on him. Doesn't help that he is long and skinny. Do you like my battle wound. This is from one of the tries with the IV.
Isn't he the cutest!!
He is so cute Katie. He is a lucky little guy to have such great parents. Congrats. Love ya.
ReplyDelete