One Big Blob

ONE BIG BLOB

Such a Big Love Fest going on!!

Friday, December 19, 2014

My First Turkey-Turk!

I have managed to go 29 years without cooking my own turkey, or Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe I should say more like 8+ (married) years. It isn't like I was able or had to when I was growing up. This year was a big year for me in the growth department. I picked out a smaller turkey and asked advice from a fellow turkey picker next to me. She was super sweet, in her late 50's and me some good advice. Always get a turkey at the latest a week in advance, if it is frozen. To thaw a 12 lb bird put it in the fridge 3-4 days in advance. She also said she always uses a roasting bag. (Same advice my parents on both sides would have said). So I was off. I got my 11.5 pounder, cheap roasting tin, and bags. When I got home I had to have evidence of my first step.
I was excited and terrified. There was no turning back now!
So later that week I started to make a game plan. Graham has become quite the photographer. He snapped some beauts that I found later on my phone. Most the time they are blurry or of the floor and his feet. He takes enough (literally hundreds) so there is usually a few okay pics.
That night I psyched myself out. I got all worked up about everything and couldn't sleep. Honestly I had nothing to worry about. Everyone has their own opinion, way to do things and I think the main battle was deciding how I was going to proceed. I did joke about me deep frying my frozen turkey! That made me laugh for a while.
The day before I made a pumpkin cheesecake. This was delicious. It was my first cheesecake and I think it will be our Tday tradition.
I made candied pecans and home made whip cream for it too. So worth it!
Cindy has been here for a few weeks now. She came to help out our friends, the Aikele's. So she got to share this sweet dinner with us! Thanksgiving without lifting a finger is the best way to do it!
We love it when Grandma is here!
My turkey turned out beautiful! I rubbed it with a butter herb rub before we put it in the bag. Jared was super helpful!! This was after he already cut half of it. I totally wasn't thinking pictures at this point. Our table all set, brings a smile to my face.
Jared bought me crystal glasses for Christmas and let me use them early! LOVE THEM! Great job babe!
We had turkey, turkey gravy from the drippings, stuffing, mashed potatoes, butternut squash, rolls, veggies, and of course for dessert cheesecake.
Jared cutting up the rest of the bird for me.
We had an intermission in between dinner and dessert. Graham had a photo shoot. I was signing to him that he was silly in the one picture.

Gotta document his feet.

They both loved the whipped cream.


My first Thanksgiving dinner was a success. I really enjoyed it! Being so close to family our whole married lives we always went to my parents or Jared's. It was nice after 8 years to finally do our own. It wasn't as bad as I thought either! I am proud of myself and am glad to finally have one year behind my belt so the years to come, I won't psych myself out. Unless I am feeding a ton of people! When it comes right down to it, who cares if it would have bombed. Whatever we do as a family we have great memories from, so here it to all my cherished time with my loves! I have so much to be grateful for this time of year, and all year really! Everyday around here is an adventure, and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment